Hospice at Home
People can access our Hospice at Home service following a referral from their GP, a community nurse or other medical consultant. (The information for the referral process for all health professionals can be found here).
Hospice at Home enables people with life-limiting illnesses to remain in the comfort of their own home, with a little help from Wirral Hospice St John’s.
It brings our specialist care and support to those who have identified their own home as their preferred place of care.
We can be around for day or night visits allowing loved ones and other carers to get a little time for everyday tasks or for a good night’s rest.
We aim to complement care already being provided by family members and other carers and to help reassure people that their loved ones are in safe hands.
Hospice at Home is available, free of charge, to anyone with a life-limiting illness who is registered with a Wirral GP.
Through Hospice at Home, our patients, their carers and their families have access to community care which also supports their physical, emotional, psychological, social and spiritual needs.
What to expect
- The Hospice at Home team is a combination of nurses, health care assistants, sometimes volunteer hospice companions, all in partnership with Marie Curie health care assistants
- Hospice at Home is designed to provide short or longer-term care depending on your particular needs and to enhance the support given by your family and other carers at specific stages (Hospice at Home doesn’t need to be continuous if you, for example, become stable and/or are feeling well)
- Once you have been referred to Hospice at Home, we aim to contact you within 48 hours to arrange an assessment visit
- If you have to cancel a visit from Hospice at Home, we will offer you the next appointment we have available. Our appointments are prioritised on a needs basis so we will do our best to attend as soon as possible
- We will review Hospice at Home care every six weeks to make sure it remains most appropriate for your individual health and emotional needs
Wirral Hospice St John’s recognises the all-round challenges that you, your family or other carers face.
We always welcome your feedback so please do let us know about your experiences and any suggestions that you would like to share with us.
Hospice at Home office number Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm: 0151 482 8984 (You can leave a message on the answerphone at any time).