Important Announcement: Coronavirus Covid-19
Important Announcement: Wed 14 July 2021
At Wirral Hospice St John’s we are carefully reviewing how we will carry out our care and support services to continue to provide the greatest protection we can to our patients and their loved ones.
In light of the Government’s move to open up society as far as possible from Monday 19 July 2021, with social distancing and mask wearing restrictions being lifted, we’d like to reassure patients and their visitors that we will continue to have robust safety measurements and risk assessments in place.
As a healthcare environment providing specialist palliative care and support to the most vulnerably-ill people from across our Wirral community, we will not be lifting the restrictions currently in place in the near future.
We are awaiting official government guidance for hospitals and care homes to be published. As an independent organisation, we will identify what and where maximum safety precautions need to remain in place.
Some of our measurements may be considered above and beyond the advice given to the general public. However, it is essential to keep our whole hospice environment safe and minimise the risk to our patients and their loved ones. As well as to our staff delivering frontline services and other staff or volunteers interacting with patients and their families.
Everyone needs to be kept safe so that we can continue to run our hospice with minimal impact.
With COVID rates on the rise on the Wirral, we have to be extra careful and continue to follow maximum safety guidance, which includes:
- Continued use of PPE including masks
- Thorough hand hygiene
- Deep cleaning patient areas of the hospice
- Maintaining social distancing
- Continued use of screens in reception areas and office spaces
- Continued Covid-19 testing programme for visitors, staff and volunteers
We are highly likely to continue with:
- Limited patient visiting for the coming weeks and possibly even months. We know this is difficult for loved ones but for hopefully very understandable reasons, given the nature of our hospice’s care
- Please refer to our Visitors page for detailed information about visiting a patient
- Essential maintenance only on site, limiting access to contractors to zoned areas, with negative tests required before access is allowed
- Essential volunteer roles on site only
We will keep this web page updated with any changes about the easing of hospice restrictions, which will only happen as and when we feel it is safe to start doing so, and not necessarily following the timeline of government advice for the general public.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com and one of our senior leadership team will respond to you as quickly as they are able to.
Thank you for helping us to continue to stay safe and entrusting the care of your family and friends to us.
Senior Leadership Team:
Helen Brown, Chief Executive
Dr Emma Longford, Medical Director & Palliative Care Consultant
Christine Sutcliffe, Clinical Services Director
John Pentland, Finance Director
Teresa Nightingale, Income Generation & Marketing Director